I’m sure many Indian Vegetarians can relate to the problems we face when we travel outside of our home cities.
We sit down for breakfast, and the server might ask:
- Server: What are your dietary preferences?
- Indian Vegetarian Family: Vegetarian
- Indian Vegetarian Family: (Looks over the menu)
- Indian Vegetarian Family: Well, actually, we don’t eat eggs
- Server: Oh okay, our vegan menu is here instead
- Indian Vegetarian Family: Well, actually, we eat cakes and pastries, that’s okay if it contains eggs, but we don’t actually eat eggs
- Server: (Confused face)
We recently found ourselves in a similar position, and we decided to try something different. There was a live omelet station at the buffet breakfast, so we talked to the chef, and asked him a simple question: can you put all the vegetables you have in your pan, and then serve that instead, but make sure you don’t put any eggs.
This was our outcome:
Alongside multi-grain bread, a sprinkle of chaat masala, some cheese from the cold-cuts, we essentially made a mixed-vegetable-cheese sandwich at a hotel. A much better alternative than eating muffins, toast, and cereal.
Leave a comment